Tuesday, January 13, 2009

The Last Big Push

Over the past thirty-five years, Becki and I have been in about fifty nations. With your help we have been in Southern Africa for most of the past year. Over the years many things have changed. Most notable has been the gradual reduction in the number of nations that welcome missionaries.

On the surface it would appear that doors are closing to the teaching of the Gospel. This does not, however, completely represent how things are. For within these “closing” nations are large numbers of people who are still “unreached.” Many of these groups are not only open to the Gospel, but are responding enthusiastically when missionaries bring them the good news in ways they can understand. However, time is running out.

For the past three years I have made an in depth study of what the Bible calls “the end times.” I have also closely watched current events. My conclusion is that we are rapidly approaching the fulfillment of things prophesied and that time is short. All of us must use all of our energies and resources for the last big push to make the good news available to every person on earth.

In light of this, Becki and I are vividly aware that the day is soon coming when we will stand before God to give account of our lives. The same is true for you. My hope is that we all will hear those blessed words, “Well done, my good and faithful servant.” As God has encouraged me, I encourage you to live in anticipation of His return and the fulfillment of all things. Because the person who sacrifices for the Kingdom gains both in this life and the life to come, this is the time to live courageously, holding back nothing.

Photo: The Eastern Gate in Jerusalem, which will be unsealed for Jesus' triumphal entry, Ezekiel 44:1-3

1 comment:

Matthew Casteel said...

Something is definitely stirring in my heart. What a challenge. Seeing Becki's life on display like that really shook me up to live like her as she lived like Jesus. Remember the prophecy you gave to me, Andrew and Matt Spousta about coming to a crossroads. I don't know what God is up to, but I feel like, as in this post I want to be found faithful. As you say, "Because the person who sacrifices for the Kingdom gains both in this life and the life to come, this is the time to live courageously, holding back nothing." Amen.